Share the unique Indigenous culture of the Interior First Nations people through the First Nations Cultural Tourism Program. This program provides graduates with a foundation in tourism, interpretation, Interior First Nations Culture, and natural history. Graduates are prepared for employment in the growing First Nations Tourism Industry.
Apply before May 30, 2020 for a September 8, 2020 start date.
For a complete schedule and deadlines see our Schedules and Deadlines page.
Contact us for bursary information, start dates and program information.
First Nations Cultural Tourism Certificate
This program has been reviewed and approved by the Registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training
Graduates of this program will be equipped to find employment in the ever expanding world of the Aboriginal Tourism Industry.
Students should have access to their own computer and printer.
The admissions requirements include one of the below:
- Grade 12 or equivalent with a letter grade of C or higher.
- Students who have not completed Grade 12 may gain entry as Mature Students if they are at least 19 years of age on the first day of the term and have been out of the regular school system for at least one year. Any students wishing to be considered for admission as a Mature Student must consult with Valemount College before submitting an application, whereupon they make take a Placement Assessment or a Prior Learning and Recognition Assessment.
Program and Completion Requirements
To complete the program, students must successfully complete 24 credits of course work over 24 weeks.
|Course No.||Course||Credits||# of Hours|
|T100||Introduction to Tourism||3||45|
|FN101||First Nations Tourism||3||45|
|T101||Natural and Cultural Interpretation||2||30|
|FN103||First Nations Heritage Recovery and Interpretation||3||45|
|FN102||Interior First Nations Culture and History||3||45|
Tuition and Estimated Costs
Students must attend full time. Costs reflect an estimate of a 100% course load per year, unless otherwise noted. Costs are for the program only. See additional costs below.
While we do our best to share accurate and timely fee information, changes may occur.
|Total Costs Financial Aid||$4,895*|
*Costs shown are for domestic applicants only. International fees can be found on our International Students page. Above costs do not include applicable bursaries or grants. See Financial Aid page for breakdown. Please also note that all fees will be fully refunded if the program is cancelled by Valemount College.
Textbook and clothing costs vary. Students should budget for up to $2,000 in additional costs.
Admissions assessment exam, if required, is $75
- Lectures 9
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 24 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 16
- Assessments Yes
- B103 – Leadership Basics
- B112 – Interpersonal Skills
- B113 – Public Speaking
- FN101 – First Nations Tourism
- FN102 – Interior First Nations Culture and History
- FN103 – First Nations Heritage Recovery and Interpretation
- R103 – Natural History
- T100 – Introduction to Tourism
- T101 – Natural and Cultural Interpretation