Start, grow, work in or manage a small business with a certificate in Rural Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management. This program gives graduates the tools needed to start their own business, grow an existing small business or work in management in a small business environment.
$2,000 Bursaries Available
Accepted applicants, local and international, are eligible to receive a $2,000 bursary.
Grant for Columbia Basin, BC Residents
Apply before December 20, 2019 for a January 6, 2020 start date.
Apply before April 17, 2020 for a May 4, 2020 start date.
For a complete schedule and deadlines see our Schedules and Deadlines page.
Certificate in Rural Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
This program has been reviewed and approved by the Registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training
Graduates of this program will have the credentials needed for self-employment as well as working in management or supervisory positions in small and rural businesses. Some occupations include:
- Visitor information centre supervisor
- Support services manager
- Tourism and related services supervisor
- Customer and information services supervisor
- Management consulting
- Market research
- And many more!
The admissions requirements include one of the below:
- Grade 12 or equivalent with a letter grade of C or higher.
- Students who have not completed Grade 12 may gain entry as Mature Students if they are at least 19 years of age on the first day of the term and have been out of the regular school system for at least one year. Any students wishing to be considered for admission as a Mature Student must consult with Valemount College before submitting an application, whereupon they make take a Placement Assessment or a Prior Learning and Recognition Assessment.
Program and Completion Requirements
To complete the program, students must successfully complete 18 credits of course work over 16 weeks.
|Course No.||Course Name:||# of Credits||# of Hours|
|B100||Starting a Business||2||30|
|B101||Rural Entrepreneurial Management||2||30|
|B102||Human Resource Management for Rural Business||2||30|
|B105||Risk Management and Legal Issues for Small Business||2||30|
|B106||Financial Management for Small Business||2||30|
|B107||Small Business Marketing||2||30|
|B108||Sales and Customer Relations||2||30|
Tuition and Estimated Costs
Students must attend full time. Costs reflect an estimate of a 100% course load per year, unless otherwise noted. Costs are for the program only. See additional costs below.
While we do our best to share accurate and timely fee information, changes may occur.
|Total Costs Financial Aid||$3,975*|
*Costs shown are for domestic applicants only. International fees can be found on our International Students page. Above costs do not include applicable bursaries or grants. See Financial Aid page for breakdown. Please also note that all fees will be fully refunded if the program is cancelled by Valemount College.
- Costs for clothing, personal gear, and books vary. Students may spend up to $2,000.
- Admissions assessment exam, if required, is $75
- Lectures 9
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 16 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 16
- Assessments Yes
- B100 – Starting a Business
- B101 – Rural Entrepreneurial Management
- B102 – Human Resource Management for Rural Business
- B103 – Leadership Basics
- B104 – Project Management
- B105 – Risk Management and Legal Issues for Small Business
- B106 – Financial Management for Small Business
- B107 – Small Business Marketing
- B108 – Sales and Customer Relations