Valemount College: Vision, Mission and Values
Valemount College is a private post-secondary institution operating as a non-profit social enterprise. We promote “Lifelong Learning in the Rocky Mountains.”
Valemount College, nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains, is one of the best places for students to get the tools they need to advance their career in tourism.
Our vision was to create a learning space with small classes that facilitates learning with personalized instruction. Students attend high-quality programs designed to provide them with every opportunity to reach their educational goals under the tutelage of highly qualified instructors. They do all this in a friendly, small town environment surrounded by nature.
We believe this setting gives us an advantage in our certificate programs:Tourism Administration, Rural Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management and First Nations Cultural Tourism.
The mission of Valemount College is to ensure our students reach their educational goals by providing a stimulating educational environment. We also provide an economic opportunity for our community and region that enables individuals, communities, and the region to grow, thrive, and prosper.
Valemount College values include commitment, respect, excellence, accountability, and diversity.
We are dedicated to meeting the needs of the communities and regions we serve.
• Support the mission and vision of the College.
• Focus on student and stakeholder needs.
• Respond to the changing needs of our communities in a timely manner.
• Create new programs and services to meet identified needs.
• Continuously evaluate and improve programs, services, systems, and policies.
• Utilize a shared decision-making process.
We recognize the expertise of all members of the college community and encourage individual contribution.
• Include stakeholders in the decisions that affect them.
• Treat people with dignity and encourage feelings of self-worth.
• Promote trust through professional courtesy and fair treatment.
• Recognize and support employee and student contributions.
We strive to develop and pursue higher standards.
• Exhibit quality in staffing, facilities, programs, and services.
• Promote continuous improvement.
• Anticipate needs and respond accordingly.
• Encourage creativity, innovation, and risk-taking.
• Utilize systems that promote student and employee success.
• Exceed student and stakeholder expectations.
• Encourage decision-making at the level of implementation.
• View setbacks as learning experiences.
We assume and demonstrate responsibility for our actions.
• Take responsibility for personal and professional growth and development.
• Continuously evaluate and improve our systems and policies.
• Establish and communicate clearly defined and articulated goals and objectives.
• Ensure our work adds value to the college, community and region.
• Demonstrate fiscal and social responsibility.
We believe that our similarities and differences are opportunities for establishing a common bond and strengthening the College.
• Employ a College workforce that reflects the community and region we serve.
• Ensure fair and equal access for all.
• Recognize, appreciate, and celebrate the strength of diversity.
• Provide educational experiences that promote a greater appreciation for diversity.
• Implement learning activities that integrate diversity topics in the classroom.
• Seek and consider multiple points of view.
Valemount College is designated by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB). The PTIB of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training, administers the Private Training Act and associated regulations.
PTIB is responsible for: Ensuring institutions meet the rigorous requirements and standards for certification, maintaining a Private Training Institution Directory of all certified institutions and the programs they provide, along with formerly certified institutions, providing student protection and overseeing the Student Tuition Protection Fund.
Benefits to the Student
Valemount College has undergone and passed a strict vetting process to ensure students receive a post-secondary education that meets provincial quality standards. Educational programs that have obtained accreditation are proven to have attained a level that meets or exceeds standards that were developed by experts in the field. Instructors employed at Valemount College meet strict recruitment standards set out by the PTIB.
Additionally, provincial accreditation means the PTIB ensures the college is a financially sound institution and the financial investment students make in their post-secondary education is protected through the Student Tuition Protection Fund. Accreditation also helps students with their career search as employers must determine the validity of programs of study to determine whether a graduate is qualified and has graduated from an accredited college with the skills that will be applied by the student in their career.